“The MEI SwiftBladeTM-R surgical device has features which may facilitate the performance of liver resections in substantially less time than with currently available tools and with substantially less blood loss. Just as important, it may facilitate the performance of lower complexity hepatectomies in lower volume centers and thus expand this important procedure to patients who do not have the capacity to seek care at the few centers of excellence that exist.”
Bryan C, MD, FACS
Duke University Medical Center
“If a device were available that was able to achieve a complete tissue and vessel coagulation, and do so within a relatively short application, such a device would have large potential of becoming rapidly accepted and widely used by liver surgeons. It is my opinion that the [SwiftBladeTM-R] device overcomes the limitations of prior devices and is able to achieve impressively rapid and complete tissue coagulation that prior devices were not able to produce. I believe that this device has the potential to improve patient outcomes by reducing intraprocedural blood loss, and reducing procedural time.”
Eric K, MD
Medical University of South Carolina
“Liver resection in primary liver cancer patients is a difficult, high-risk procedure that is underserved by available technology. Many tools are available, but the MEI SwiftBladeTM-R stand out as a fully optimized, procedure-specific tool that improves ease-of-use for the surgeon.
Features that make the MEI SwiftBladeTM-R effective are:
- blade-shaped electrodes that allow much higher and faster energy deposition rates without charring of the tissue,
- a broad array of bipolar electrodes which allow most liver resections to be done with a single placement of the tool,
- a 5-channel RF generator with real-time tissue impedance measurement that modulates the RF energy,
- a surgeon-defined handle shape that allows enough force to penetrate the liver capsule while providing fingertip precision for accurate placement, and
- a proprietary switching algorithm that results in fast, uniform tissue coagulation independent of difference in tissue thickness.
Having one tool that can coagulate multiple 5mm blood vessels simultaneously, while creating a sterile wall of tissue for most liver resections with a single placement will reduce the surgical procedure complexity, time and cost. I look forward to this product becoming commercially available.”
Kenneth M, MD, FACS
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics